Wednesday 2 October 2013

Don't be confined by your limits

Recently I've been thinking about limits. Everyone has a limit don't they? How long they'll tolerate a rude relative, how much cake they are willing to consume before counting the calories or even how much they are willing to sacrifice for someone or something. 

Limits can be emotional, physical and even mathematical. They exist as a "do not cross" barrier that prevents us from over committing, over exerting and over doing.

I have limits. As much as I'd like to do everything on my bucket list, I'm limited to the amount of money I have, the time I have to dedicate to it and the area in which I am willing to travel.

All my life I was told I could do anything. I could be whoever I wanted to be and I could do everything I wanted to do. I was told that this is my life and that I shouldn't miss out on any of the experiences it offers. Now this sentiment is awe inspiring when you're young, you feel like the world is your oyster and that the possibilities are endless. 

The trouble is that no one tells you that you can do anything but not everything. You have to make choices. You can only choose to do so much and not everything is within your limits. That doesn't mean you can't dream big, it just means that you have to be happy and live in the here and now.

It seems kind of depressing when you put it like that, but it's not. It's life.

I choose to do what makes me happy and whilst not all my dreams are currently achievable, I'm constantly adjusting to my circumstance. That's all you can do isn't it? Adjust.

So for now I'm going to be happy with what I can do and dream about the things that are currently outside my reach. I might not ever get to do all the things I want to do in my life time, but I'm going to what I can, as I can.

So what if you never get to experience the feeling of 6 figures in your bank account, so what if you never get to stand at the top of the empire state building... You can't let the limits confine you, you just have to use them to your advantage the best way you can.



No comments:

Post a Comment